Saskatchewan is home to a vibrant startup culture and a strong ecosystem of world-leading agriculture and food companies. There is no better time than now, and no better place than Saskatchewan to lead the growth of agtech in Canada and beyond.
Economic Development Regina (EDR), Cultivator powered by Conexus (Cultivator), and soon-to-be-launched venture capital fund, Emmertech, have teamed up to accelerate the cultivation of Canadian agtech startups with the launch of an Agtech Accelerator.
The Agtech Accelerator will provide Canada’s world-leading agtech and foodtech companies with the mentorship, resources, programming, and funding needed to help them take their startup to the next level.
What makes the Agtech Accelerator unique is that it is venture-capital-backed. Companies selected to participate will receive an equity investment at intake via Emmertech – a first for an accelerator in Saskatchewan and Canada.
Coming on board as a funding partner for the Agtech Accelerator is Innovation Saskatchewan, with a $300,000 commitment over the next three years. Through this funding, we can accelerate game-changing innovation, further positioning Saskatchewan as a global leader for agtech and foodtech.
A high-performance accelerator needs to provide impactful programming, access to capital, and key industry connections. Through the partnership of Emmertech (capital), EDR (industry), and Cultivator (programming) we’ve got the perfect recipe for cultivating Canada’s Agtech sector!
The Agtech Accelerator will be open to agtech and foodtech companies from across Canada that focus on (but not limited to):
- Big data and predictive analytics
- Supply chain, traceability, and sustainability
- Precision agriculture
- Robotics and automation
- Farm management software, sensing, and Internet of Things
- Animal health
As with many other industries, technology is driving global agriculture forward. The future relies on collaboration, innovation, and the ability to leverage our strengths and become leaders who drive a sustainable future here at home, across the country, and around the world.
Who better to lead the growth of agtech in Canada and beyond than Saskatchewan:
- Home to more than 40% of Canada’s cultivated farmland – some of the most productive farmland in the world.
- Strong ecosystem of world-leading agtech and foodtech companies, renowned education and research institutions, world-class transportation and logistics infrastructure, and a strong business community.
- Builder of agtech focused venture capital fund, Emmertech.
- Vibrant startup culture and community that’s growing astronomically and setting new heights within the tech ecosystem.
- Numerous local and government supports, helping founders launch, grow and scale.
- Saskatchewan has always been a leader in agriculture, and we’re driven to continue leading into the future.
Initially virtual, but with future plans for in-person delivery. Founders will get the opportunity to be boots on the ground working from the Cultivator Global HQ in Regina, SK and leveraging key contacts and resources across the great province of Saskatchewan.
Cultivator has the advantage of operating in a hyper-connected mid-sized ecosystem like Saskatchewan with the added ability to deliver programming to founders from across Canada.
The Agtech Accelerator will host one cohort each year, taking place during the Winter months to coincide with farming off-season to ensure optimal time for growth, investment, and recruitment. At the end of the programming, companies will pitch their ideas at Demo Day to a panel of judges.
Cohorts will be selected through an application process, with applications opening each Fall. Keep your eye on our social channels for more details.
Have an Agtech Startup?
We want to hear from you!Contact Us